We started with an adventure swim that was just plain fun. Then we jumped in the raft and headed downstream. The trip was pretty carefree until my dad, one other guy on our raft, and I all were tossed out of the raft at the very beginning of pretty large rapids. When I came up for my first breath I felt a person clear down to my feet trying to get up. I grabbed onto the life vest and pulled them up, and guess who it was? It was my dad! It was a crazy sight seeing him struggle and people yelling, "feet up, feet up," as we came up to a huge rock. I pushed off with my oar that I was gripping tightly in my hands (that was the one rule I remembered, don't let go of that oar!) After that, I went up and down, side to side. Lost sight of my dad, but had my eyes on that raft I so desperately wanted to get back into. I reached out the oar and tried to link with Janell and the other girl who were still inside the raft. It looked so easy to do before I actually tried it while being tossed to and fro. I gave up on that, swam (more like got tossed) a little closer to the raft. I was close enough to grab the end of an oar reaching out to me from inside the raft. I was pulled closer, grabbed onto the raft and tried to hoist myself inside, but it was impossible! After a while of trying, my sister and the other girl grabbed me by the vest and pulled me in. I was safe, I see the other fellow pulled in on the other side of the raft, but then I asked terrified, "where is my dad?" I looked back to see him looking exhausted, safe in another raft. Whew, what a long 30 seconds!!!
The rest of the day was very intense, as we rowed as hard as we could through those big rapids. We also stopped to jump off a 20 foot rock, which was surprisingly very scary for me. It was a day of memories that I will never forget. Thanks Dad for the adventure, but I will not be going again any time soon. Maybe I'm not quite as adventurous as I initially thought :)
2 comments:
Holy cow, that sounds like a crazy adventure!! The only river rafting trip I went on turned out to be a float down a very slow and quiet river. But we did jump off a big rock too and I loved it. I love cliff jumping!!! Glad you and your dad are safe.
I'm glad you blogged about our experience. I had a blast, even though I drank more of the Kern River water than I'd like to. I'm glad I'm in as good of shape as I am - it helped with the stamina to complete a challenging but FUN day with you and Janell. Believe it or not, this was my favorite whitewater rafting trip of the four I have taken. I nearly went back the following week to do it all again. I'm thinking of attending "guide school" next spring just so I can go down the river 5 days in a row. I'm looking forward to exploring adventures in other nearby rivers such as the Merced (near Yosemite), the American (near Sacramento), the Colorado (Arizona), the Snake (Idaho), and the Green River (Utah). I'd love to plan another trip to the Kern River next spring and include Darin, Kirk, Jason, Joseph and maybe even Jonathan.
Post a Comment