Thursday, August 27, 2009

End of Summer Vacations

Before I get myself too deep into school I thought I'd better post my end of summer vacations.

Week #1: Way too much fun! Despite the one night of children throwing up, I'd say this was the ideal extended family vacation. We spent the week at Leo Carrillo in Malibu with the Monroe-Heaps side of the family. No phone, no computer, no television: really not much of anything except relaxation and a whole lot of laughter and family memory making. I took way too many pictures, so I'll try to put up only my favorites.


Grandma with her hands full of dirty, cute, kids! The mornings included a nice walk down to see the tide pools and climb on the rocks. What kids wouldn't like that morning routine?
Down at the tide pools All the bros, sisters, and Ma (missing Jon and Jessica of course)
Hudson in one of his favorite places in camp. He also enjoyed the hummock and sitting in the car Papa brought for him (the advantages of a grandpa with a huge trailer)!


Once my bros made it up it turned into a festivity of laughs. I think these guys have gotten funnier since I moved out...they had me rollin'!



Joseph on the pink bike, he said it was the most comfortable, but I know down deep he is diggin' the pinkness!


Hudson loved listening to Uncle Joe's MP3 player at the beach. See where Hudson gets his looks?

Aunt Cheryl and Kirk grilling up the delicious Carne Asada! You wouldn't think we were camping with that huge bbq! Again, the joys of a huge trailer.


Looking forward to camping next year. This week taught me that I can love camping if you are doing it with the right people and have the right attitude. Thanks everyone!


Week 2: Camping at Carpinteria with the Salmon clan was our second adventure. Although the weather didn't cooperate much, Carpinteria just holds a special place in my heart because my family memories there. Not to mention Kirk and I sharing our first kiss on that beach, shhhhhhh I didn't tell you that. The week was full of little quirks, and I wasn't the most enjoyable camper this week (maybe since it was week 2?), but we still made memories for the kids and that's what counts right? Here are some of their memories.



Grandma Salmon brought some sidewalk chalk that Hudson thoroughly enjoyed
A special bike/scooter ride to the ".99 cent store," where nothing was really 99 cents, but all ended in .99. The girls really wanted these hats, but they were just as happy taking a picture with them.

Of course we had to make it extra special a pick up a donut since we didn't buy the hats. Don't worry, Janell and I split that donut :)

Some mad bike riding skills by Bruin. He enjoyed this ramp our fellow campers had.
I was happy to return home to my comfy bed and hot shower after 2 weeks of camping. Next year we might just have to split it up a little more to help me stay a "happy camper" a little longer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Joanna we had such a great time with all of you! We love you all! The pictures bring back such a memorable time together. Russell's back has never been the same after the pogo stick show he gave us. The BBQ was the best wasn't it! Did we eat all that food on the grill every evening--yes we did!

Tiffany J said...

How fun! Great pictures! I'm sure your family had a blast!! Although clean toilets and hot showers do make returning home nice :)

ERIN said...

hey heres my e mail cherylkirkpatrick@sbcglobal.net