Tuesday, January 27, 2009

FLOODED!

Last night I decided to get the kids an early bath/shower while dinner was finishing up. Capri decided she wanted to be the one to take the shower (since I prefer to have only one in the bath with Hudson). I turned on the shower in my bathroom and let her in. Both Bruin and Capri love to play in the shower, so I usually just leave them in there until I finish bathing Hudson. I moved back into the kids bathroom and got Bruin and Hudson into the bath.


Meanwhile I folded some laundry and checked my emails (the laundry room/computer room are right across the hall, and I can see the bath from there, so please don't send my name to CPS). The kids were enjoying themselves very well, so they were probably in the bath for about 15 minutes or so. I got Hudson out and got him all dressed, then moved back into my bathroom where I noticed quite a bit of water on the floor (yes its carpet right outside the shower- dumb builders!). I asked Capri what had happened and she answered with the typical shoulder shrug. I didn't worry too much about it, I just slapped some towels down and moved onto finish dinner, etc...

I had invited my beautiful sis Joy to join me for dinner, and when she came it I somehow caught a glance at my ceiling, and yes you guessed it- it was wet!!! My upstairs flood was worse than I had thought. I started to panic a bit, but I decided to take the calm route. I called a couple people for advice, and I ultimately decided that I had better pull up the carpet and see how bad it really was. I think I'll let these pictures tell the rest of the story.




2 powerful fans, 2 folding chairs, a shop vac (is that what they are called?), 3 parents, and a lot of towels later I think we have the problem under control. I'm considering calling my Insurance Agent to see if I can make a claim since I had to tear some of the carpet. Who knows, maybe I can get some cash to put toward the tile I have been wanting to get put in?

We finally determined that Capri had covered the drain with a washcloth and overflowed the shower. Moral of the story, don't leave your child in a stand up shower with a washcloth for 15+ minutes or you may have a huge wet mess on your hands!

6 comments:

Kinsie said...

If you'd called the insurance co right away, they would have sent out a company immediately that dries out your mess for you (at no cost to you)--I've had to do that...something to remeber for next time! ;)

The Okamoto Clan said...

That sounds awful, I'm sorry! I didn't realize you had carpet right there...that is poor planning! Ashlyn will not be taking showers any time soon! :)

Please enjoy... said...

now, that sucks. hope everything will dry well!!

Rachel Garces said...

Bathroom carpets suck!!!! So sorry, my kids have done the same thing, but luckily we have tile.

Tiffany J said...

OH GOSH Joanna! Kirk told Steve about it and I was like "that's too bad" but I totally "didn't get" the severity of it all! Maybe this is what will pave the way for that tile huh? ha ha So sorry you had that happen!

The Moss' said...

What a mess, that totally sucks! Hope everything is drying out well, especially with those big blowers you got.Hey, question for you, how do you know Kristen Bishop? I saw that you two were friends on facebook, and I'm her friend too, I met her up at Rick's.Anyways hope that you'll get to replace your floor with tile :)