Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Love for Learning

I just wanted to record my feelings regarding my life as a college student and mother. This is for me, so sorry if its boring and long.

It's been a struggle and very interesting being a student and mother simultaneously, but its definitely made me be a better mother in many ways and also has reminded me of my worth as an individual. I remember the first time returned to a college classroom it was so weird to hear the silence! Bruin was almost 4, and Capri had just turned 2. As a mother of 2 youngsters it was a very rare occasion for me to be anywhere without at least one child in my care. Its been almost 3 years now that I have been back-wow, I can't believe how the time has flown! Having the opportunity to gain an education has made me a better mother to my children. I feel so blessed that I have been able to go back and work toward achieving my goal of completing college. I'm not finished yet, but the time is nearing. I also feel blessed to have a husband and family who have supported me in my educational goals.
Being a Child and Adolescent Studies Major has also enabled me to gain wonderful insights into the growth of my children both physically and cognitively. I'm sure some of my close family members get tired of hearing me lecture them on "what the experts and research say," but many of the theories have helped me make better choices on how I should discipline, praise, and teach my children. This has been, and will continue to be a blessing in the lives of my children and family.
One of my classes this semester was all about the adolescent years. Oft times I have been annoyed by teenagers (even though it wasn't long ago that I was one), and also have been very afraid of the time that will come for me to raise my own teenage children. This class gave me some good tips as well as ways to understand why they go through such difficult adjustments at this time in their lives.
In my other class this semester I loved the reading we did on how to praise a child. It has helped me do a better job at providing my children with constructive praise rather than just saying, "you did such a good job" or "you are so smart."
I have a love for learning, and hope to instill this same love in my children. Showing them that I think a formal education is important to me is a step in the right direction. I am proud of that step I have made.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I think that's so awesome that you are getting the opportunity to further your education. I hope someday to do the same!

Rachel Kirk said...

i love that your doing that. I hope it will be like that one day for me:)

Jennifer said...

I think its great that you are in school.. way to go!

Ciara Slider said...

your so great to go back to school with your kids and all the other things you have going on! i couldn't do it! i totally understand the huge demands that come along with school and having everyone tell you that it's going to be worth it in the end when you just want to give up, but keep in there and one day it will be worth it!