Thursday, June 4, 2009

BUSY BOOK

My favorite book of the week...maybe it will remain through the summer months with 3 kids to entertain all day.
So, I was on a date with Kirk a couple weeks ago and picked up this book at Borders just to see if there were any quick ideas I could get to help keep Hudson busy (since this kid hardly plays with toys...he likes mommy/daddy type stuff that he can break, ruin, make a mess with, etc..) I read a couple of fun ideas and decided I really wanted to get the book, but I didn't want to pay the $10 for it, so I looked online and bought both the toddler book and Preschoolers book used for about $12- and that is including shipping!!!
All the activities so far have kept the kids interest very well, and they are all using things we already have in our home-which is even better!
Day one we used an old shoebox, poked a hole in the side and tied a string to it. Hudson pulled his different things in their throughout the day. Capri wanted one too, she used it for her baby doll- and even tied it to the back of her bike to give the baby a ride.
Day 2 the older 2 sharpened pencils for nearly 45 minutes! I would have never thought of having them do that, but they loved it! Just a bowl, pencil sharpener and tons of pencils! Don't think I'll have to worry about sharpening a pencil for a while :)
I also made Hudson a new bath toy out of an empty milk carton, and he played with it in the bath forever!
Day 3 homemade bean bags. Something I never thought of, but it was easy, and I had everything I needed already in my home. The kids were thrilled to choose their own fabric, and have been making up different games to play together. Right now they are on the top bunk trying to drop the bean bags into bowls.

I'm looking forward to trying more of these activities this summer. Some I'm excited about are easy kitchen cooking, mud painting, and stained glass crayons. Cheers to a summer full of fun.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Your mud painting reminds me of pudding painting. Post some pictures, sounds like fun.

Kim L. said...

AWESOME! I need to go pick that book up! Thanks for sharing!

Janell said...

I love those ideas. What a good mom you are!

Sarah Hull said...

What an awesome book!!! I LOVE all those ideas. thanks for sharing!!!

Jennifer said...

I love these books.. I have the sibling one.. its soo neat!