Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day Brunch, Chino Auction, Can collecting

The day started off great by heading over to MIMIS Cafe for my annual Mother's day meal with my mother. For the last few years we have been getting together for a peaceful meal as women just to enjoy each other's company with no screaming children around. In the past we have done breakfast at IHOP, and the Cheesecake factory. This year we decided to meet at MIMIs Cafe, which was really yummy. I definitely ate way too much- a delicious quiche w/ bacon, a blueberry muffin, some potatoes, and of course a glass of OJ. It was lovely to sit and talk with my mom, my sis. Janell, my sis-in-law Briana, and my Step-Grandma Rozalind (I think that is what she is to me). We exchanged a few gifts, and had an enjoyable time.

When I was headed home I passed the Chino Auction and thought to myself, "Why have I never gone there when I live one block from it?" I saw a lady leaving with a huge potted plant that would look so perfect on my front patio, so that made me really want to go. When I returned home to a surprisingly peaceful and not too messy house I asked Kirk if he wouldn't mind heading over to the auction. He didn't look too horrified about going, but he needed to work on his talk for church tomorrow first (yes, he gets to speak on Mother's Day). So after he was done working on it we took off to the auction. The kids enjoyed looking at rabbits, birds, and a few other little critters. We picked up some oranges, bought some kettle corn to snack on, and Bruin picked out a toy gun for his friend NICO's birthday. I did find a few plants that I liked, but the lady acted like they were indoor plants and wouldn't be able to live through the outdoor heat. I'm not very good at keeping plants alive, so I am now considering buying some fake plants and flowers to spruce up my ugly porch. We will see. We had a good time walking around and spending time as a family.

In the evening Kirk headed off to work and I headed over to a fun little birthday party at the park. The kids entertained themselves really well on the play equipment and playing basketball. They also had fun hitting the pinata and eating cake.

Capri, Bruin, Ethan, and Ashlyn showing off their candy


Bruin was also very excited that Rachel (his friend's mommy) let him pick up the left over water bottles and take them home to recycle. You may be wondering why he was so excited to do this, so here it goes. We had a conversation earlier this week that pretty much went,

Bruin: "Mommy, I want a boogie board."
Mom: "Well Bruin, you should have asked for that for Christmas or your birthday that passed."
Bruin: "But Mom, I really want one like Trent! You need to buy me one."
Mom: "Maybe you can do some extra chores to earn money and buy yourself one."

He seemed pretty happy about the idea, and left it alone. Later that day he told me that he was going to save cans like Trent and get money. I told him that was a good idea, so he got a bag and put a can and 2 water bottles in it. Since we don't drink soda around here much I knew it was going to be hard for him to really make any money doing that. Thinking creatively, I helped him make some notes to pass out to neighbors and he stapled them onto a bag. The note just says his name and age and explains that he is trying to save money to buy a boogie board. It asks if they will put cans in the bag, and that he will be picking them up on Monday morning, so leave them on their porch. Ever since then he has been collecting whatever he finds. So he was excited to collect a few water bottles from the party. I'm hoping he can see how much work it is to earn a few dollars, and be more thankful for the things that he has.

I am so grateful for this nice day that we had, and for fun times with my children. I love being a mother, and teaching my children. They try my patience everyday, but still I love them more and more with everyday that passes. A shout out to all you mothers out there- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

3 comments:

The Okamoto Clan said...

That was a great idea with the cans, glad we could help! Looks like the kids had fun at the party!

Carrie Anne said...

You're so great to make Bruin learn about money. We try that every so often, but I then I get over it.:) I love those wonderful mother days...so worth all the other days, huh? Yes, you should get a scooter! It is so much fun for me! I can see you out there with your kids doing tricks and everything! I plan on scootering with the newborn in a Bjorn, too! As long as I'm not too off balance! I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day!

Laura said...

What a good idea with getting the neighbors involved. Sounds like you had a good Mother's Day weekend. I am jealous that you got to spend time with your Mom, and without kids!!! Good day!