Wednesday, May 14, 2008

$$$$ what are you doing with yours? $$$$

So I officially received the tax rebate check that everyone has been talking about. It deposited straight into my account, so I didn't know it was there for a few days. What a surprise when I checked my account balance and it was there!

Kirk and I are really good at making decisions together, and we talk openly about all of our financial decisions together. This month I brought up to him the idea of him getting Lasik Eye Surgery for both of his eyes. He is very excited about the idea-wouldn't you if you had been wearing glasses since you were a small child? I hate seeing his eyes all bloodshot when he works long hours, which is due to having his contacts in so long. I also hate every time he has to go into the optometrist to get his prescription. We don't have optical coverage, so he doesn't really have a routine doctor that he goes to. Every time he is about out of contacts it is a big deal to get an appointment and to purchase everything he needs, not to mention it can get expensive too. On top of that he makes a big mess in our bathroom splashing water all over the mirror, counter, floor, etc. putting his contacts in and taking them out.

So, getting back to the point, our tax rebate money is going toward his surgery. Now he just needs to get in and do his consultation and set a date. I've heard that it just changes people's lives when they get it done. I'm hoping it is a good experience for him and that the process goes smoothly. I'm glad that this extra money came to help us be able to get this for him. If anyone has experienced this surgery please give me any info. you can to help. We have heard that it ranges from $3000-4000 for both eyes, but its hard to find any estimates online. I think all the doctors want you to come in before giving you any #'s.


Anyone else have anything exciting that they are spending the extra $$$ on?

7 comments:

Tiffany J said...

That's such a smart thing to use your rebate on! I had no idea he used contacts...learn something new every day! Unfortunately I don't know anyone whose had the surgery, sorry.

Steve and I are going to be boring (and I guess smart) and put our money into savings....one day we'll have a house with a garage and a yard....I can't wait but I'll have too! ha ha

Tanya said...

I had mine done a couple years agp. I went to Dr. Bladh first and he referred me. The guy is top notch. I personally wouldn't trust that surgery with any of the cheap ones out there. My sister went to him also and of course Erika too. It really does change your life.

Stephanie Salmon said...

That's so exciting! I've heard of people who've done it and they all love it. That's all I know. We're hopefully going to buy bikes, but we haven't gotten our money yet. And maybe some new wardrobes for work. We'll see...But we live right by the Provo River Trail and would love to have bikes!

Blake ~ Amber ~ Noah ~ Jade said...

ahhhhhh, i want my money!!! We actually already spent ours :) We bought new carpet for our house!! ITS FABULOUS! :)

Rachel Kirk said...

Jason got his done 4 years ago. He is so happy he did it. It has changed his work experiance. He is not so tired and his eyes don't hurt anymore. He went to TLC in Ontario. Great but a little on the $$$$ side. The doctor said everyone is different so the $ is different. But hey, when it comes to your eyes, DON'T GO CHEAP!
As for our $ Jason was temped to buy a dirtbike but he got over that. Savings acount instead!!!!

Ciara Slider said...

Hey guys! kevin and ciara slider here. Kevin had the same surgery 6 years ago and loved it! he paid $2,500 all together and has said that he would pay twice that much cuz it was so worth it! His advice is to not watch the video before, which i totally agree to! it's pretty freaky! good luck and hope it goes well! P.S. our big money splurge this year is putting in a yard and go to cancun!

the monroe family said...

good luck kirk! jon & i already spent the money on e's big boy bed that will be here in about a week or two can't wait!