Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Sad Farewell

Tonight as my in laws were leaving my house I was showing them my new lights and electrical outlets in the garage that I am so proud of (weird things that I get so excited about as a home owner). They decided to go and see Buddy, our pet hamster, really quick (he lives in the garage because of his stench). When they went over to see him he was curled up in the corner and definitely dead. When grandma said the words "I think he's dead." Bruin ran into the house obviously upset. After a little talk about heaven, and some hugs he was a little better. I asked him if we should bury Buddy, and he thought that was a good idea. So we dug a hole and buried him next to our house. I had each of the kids say their favorite thing about Buddy. Bruin's favorite thing was when Buddy played in his tent with him (I think that happened once). Capri's favorite was when Buddy went down his slide.
It was really hard for me because I have hated this pet all along, but I never realized how much the children actually liked him. His life was definitely cut short- probably because of my lack of interest, and because I made him live in the hot garage. So, farewell Buddy, I hope the kids are right and you are in heaven running on the grass and running on your giant hamster wheel with all of your friends.

2 comments:

Tiffany J said...

it's always sad losing a pet but definitely losing your "first" pet. What a nice ceremony you had for him...farwell buddy!

PS I'm glad I'm not a hamster. I'm not sure heaven would be running in a hamster wheel forever...for me at least! ha ha

Alex Monroe said...

This is a very sad story. on the other hand I'm not sure if your camping offer was serious, but if it was, I'd love to go. If it was a joke then, good one.