Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Two big surprises

This week began with a nice Memorial Day/ Kirk's birthday celebration. We spent the day at my mom's house with the kids playing in the backyard, and taking a dip in the spa. We also had a good time watching Russell (my step-dad) go around and around on the track he built in his back yard to ride his new Quad on. The kids had fun trying on the big helmet, but I was too protective of a mother to let them ride. I know I should, and maybe I will let Russell take them on soon. Those kind of things just make Kirk and I very nervous, so it may take us some time. It was so nice to spend the time with the family and to enjoy some good steaks and good conversation. The day went by so quickly. We had to retire earlier than normal since I was to begin summer school the next morning.

At 6am Tuesday morning the alarm went off (I know that isn't early for most people, but for me it is too early to get out of bed). I made it to school in time, and have to admit that I was very nervous to be returning to the world of reading, studying, and listening to lectures for nearly 5 hours.

SURPRISE #1: I was pleasantly surprised by how well the classes went, and even more surprised that I knew on of my professors from my days living in Fullerton. He was in the ward that I attended there, and I have even been over to his home for a barbecue before! When he called roll he paused at my name and said, "You look very familiar to me Joanna, have we met before?" I simply answered yes, and talked to him after class. I'm surprised that he even recognized me since it has been quite a while since we were in Fullerton, and we kept a very low profile in that ward (much different than we are now). We chatted for a bit, but didn't want to get too personal in that I will be spending about 7 hours a week for the next 8 weeks listening to him lecture as my professor. It was a bit odd, but luckily he is a good teacher and I don't have to be embarrassed that he knows me. So, I made it through my first day of summer school OK- I'm hopeful that I will pass both courses.

SURPRISE #2: After class my focus moved right on to my hubby's birthday surprise I had planned. My plans were for 5 other couples to meet us at BJ's for dinner to Kirk's surprise. He says that he had no idea until he showed up to the restaurant and couldn't find my car anywhere. We had met halfway between work and home, but I had arrived with Darin and Janell. We had a fun dinner, and even splurged on a pizzoki for everyone (I have no idea how to spell that!). It's the yummy cookie and ice cream dessert that is pretty popular at BJs.



After that we headed over to Laser Quest and had a great time chasing and shooting at each other. "Jinx" was the big winner, but I think Kirk swears he would have received a much better score had his Laser worked the entire time. I THINK I AM SENSING A REMATCH?!?! It was fun that we were the only 11 people in the building for that game (it was 11 because one of the hubbys got caught up at work). I love how my heart gets racing in there with excitement like I am a kid all over again. Thanks to everyone who came to have some fun with us and made Kirk's birthday one to remember. Also, thanks to my awesome sister-in-law Erika or watching the kids for us. I don't know about you guys, but I think its amazing that Erika thinks to call me and ask to watch the kids so Kirk and I can go out for his birthday (that is just about the best gift ever)!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Erika is pretty amazing! Sounds like you had a good time. Happy Birthday to Kirk!

Janell said...

We had fun! I think I finally figured out laser tag... 3rd place felt AWESOME :) especially beating out all those cops, ha ha! Swimming tomorrow?

Arica said...

your babies in the 'salmon' shirts is probably the cutest sibling picture i have ever seen!!

Tiffany J said...

I'm glad School is going well and Thanks for the invite. It was a blast! I think Steve was a little shocked he won...I don't think he thought he would. Sorry we were late to dinner but I'm glad it all worked out! ...we'd love a rematch...ANYTIME! ha ha

Carrie Anne said...

good for you to do school with 3 kids let alone one of them being a baby! holy cow! I could never be that brave, joanna! you'll do so great...i know it! who is the professor from the old ward? what a fun party for kirk, too! you're such a cool wife!:)