Yesterday while I was standing in the kitchen labeling some of my kids new chore chart prizes I felt a little shake. At first I thought to myself, "those road construction machines outside sure are making this ground shake." (We have been getting all the roads repaved outside our home, so there has been jackhammering every morning, and tar being put on and lots of pounding going on outside). But then I felt it continuing and getting stronger. At that point I realized it really was an earthquake. Luckily all of my family was downstairs together- including Kirk. I went over to where all of them were and picked up Hudson. We decided to stand under a doorway together, which now I hear is not the smartest thing to do. I guess what I was taught when I was young is like the worst thing ever to do now according to new studies. Anyways, the ground under us did a shaking/rolling type thing for maybe 10-15 seconds, and then continued on to a swaying feeling thing. Bruin was so frightened- I think he even screamed! I guess as an adult and having grown up in California earthquakes still scare me, but once they are over I stop worrying. I had to sit down with Bruin and explain a few things. This is how our conversation pretty much went.
Bruin: "Mommy what was that?" (he had the most worried face ever)
Me: "Its called an earthquake, its just the earth below us moving a little bit."
Bruin: "I don't like earthquakes."
Me: "Well, earthquakes are how mountains are made. We live in California where we have earthquakes once in a while."
Bruin: "Can we move somewhere else where there are no earthquakes?"
Me: "Well, other places have other things like floods, hurricanes, and even tornadoes that can rip roofs right off of houses. Would you rather have your roof taken off or a flood where you can't live in your house- or would you rather have little earthquakes once in a while? " (I was trying to scare him into thinking earthquakes were better than those other things)
Bruin: "I don't like earthquakes, but I don't want my roof ripped off my house either."
Me: "We will be fine, try not to worry."
For the remainder of the day he talked about moving somewhere else. He asked if his cousins were going to move away because of the earthquake, and it went on and on. Bruin even called his cousins Trent and Trey to talk to them about it. He was trying to act brave to them on the phone- just like any normal boy. I guess Trent and Trey were in the movie theatre, so it was loud. I heard Bruin telling them that it was cool, but scary too.
I guess we made it through our first earthquake as a family of 5. We had one picture fall off of a shelf, and some things fall out of the medicine cabinet when I opened it after the quake. We have had several small aftershocks, but nothing that the kids have even felt or worried about. For any of you who have never experienced an earthquake, come move to California and I can almost guarantee you will feel one in the first few years. It is a scary thing, but I am nearly accustomed to them- so long as we don't get the "big one" that everyone keeps talking about I am "A OK."
1 comment:
oh wow! i forget about those earthquakes, and you had so many aftershocks down there! what a cute conversation with bruin.
it was fun to catch up on your other posts, too. what fun to have so many grandparents around! congratulations on finishing summer school! you are amazing! and what a super fun surprise to have a college roommate show up! SO FUN! i love surprises like that!:)
Post a Comment